Matte Addresses Calvinism



Houston's First Baptist Pastor Gregg Matte addressed Calvinism in his multi-part sermon series on Salvation. I consider it one of the best sermons our leader has ever preached.

I have friends on both sides of this issue. Smart, intelligent friends...we don't see eye to eye on this but we still fellowship according to scripture. I've found it to be very divisive. I've seen friends become isolated in their pursuit of knowledge over this subject. I miss them.
In my experience, I've found proponents of Calvinism to be adamant for all to recognize the subject and address it. Pick a side...draw a line...hunker down and quote Piper! I choose to accept what scripture says and maintain an authentic walk that I may draw men to Christ. How God does it...is the mystery of our Saviour. I'm at peace with that.
There will be some that read this and think just because my Pastor said it...that I follow blindly and accept it. Not the case! My spirit is at peace with the sermon and position of my Pastor Gregg Matte. His articulation of his position based on Scripture lines up with my belief. I found freedom and release in this sermon. It is an answer to prayer for me.
And the end of the day...God still moves.

The following is the Listening Guide/Notes from Gregg Matte's Sermon-The Tulip of Calvinism
Acts 8:26-40

Total Depravity-Is Man unable or unwilling to come to God? John 5:39-40 (Unwilling-TB)
Unconditional Election-Salvation is not earned. Ephesians 2:8-9
*Does everyone have a chance to respond to Christ? _____ (TB believes YES)
2 Peter 3:9; 1 Timothy 2:4; John 6:37-47
*"Not all men are created with similiar destinies, but eternal life is foreordained for some;
eternal damnation for others." John Calvin INSTITUTES, Book 3, Chapter 2.
*The Bible teaches both God is sovereign and man is responsible for his choices.
1 Chronicles 10:4; 13-14
Limited Atonement - Is Christ's death limited in provision or application? (TB believes application.) 2 Peter 2:1 & 3:9; Hebrews 2:9; 1 Timothy 2:4; 1 John 2:2; Exodus 12:3-4, 7, 12

Irresitible Grace - Forced, made willing, or invited to respond? John 6:37-47
(Invitation-TB)

"God created human beings with free moral agency, and He does not violate this even in the supernatural work of regeneration. Christ does not rudely bludgeon His way into the human heart. He does not abrogate our creaturely freedom. No, He beckons and woos, He pleads and pursues, He waits and wins." Timothy George, Amazing Grace p. 74

Perserverance of the Saints-If you could lose your salvation, you already would have. John 10:27; 1 John 5:13; 2 Corinthians 5:17, Romans 8:35-39 (AMEN! TB)

"Words like called, chosen, election, foreknowledge and predestination are in Holy Scripture. We should embrace them, examine them and seek to understand them. Words like believe, evangelist, go, preach, receive, and repent are also in the Bible. Biblical balance requires that we embrace and affirm these as well." Daniel Akin, President of Southeastern Baptist Seminary

"You can ask me to reconcile the two. I answer, they do not want any reconcilement...Both are true." Charles Spurgeon-August 1, 1858

(TB-Greg ended his sermon by claiming to be a 2.5 Calvinist. Pretty amazing stuff.)

Go God!

Thank you, Pastor Gregg.

Listen for yourself at:

http://houstonsfirstorg.actsgroup.net/audio_sermons.htm

Comments

Unknown said…
I finally got a chance to listen to the audio CD. I am still processing it all in my brain.

I found much that I can agree with. Some I am not sure about. But of that of which I am not sure, I would suspect that if we could come to agreement on terms, we would find ourselves closer together.

I can definitely say he communicated clearly.
Anonymous said…
OK, so I have had a little time to think about your pastor's sermon. Here are my thoughts.

T -- We are deprived and incapable of being redeemed on our own. However, our sinful condition is not too much for God through His prevenient Grace.

U -- God has chosen and ordered that all of humanity be righteous. Yet, He calls us to respond as a condition of fulfilling the election.

L -- The affects of the Atonement are freely available to all who will repent and accept. "whosoever will..."

I -- God's Grace is free to all who will receive it. But, we as free moral agents can choose to turn our backs on Him and continue in sin to our own ultimate destruction.

P -- There is security and assurance that God's Grace is sufficient to save us and keep us. But that security is in the context of our continued obedience and faithfulness to God. Much like we could defiantly reject God's saving Grace, we can defiantly turn our backs on Him and walk away, "crucifying him again...".

So, in retrospect, I think many times our dialog is clouded by our individual definition of terms. This discussion is hard to find common ground if we don't share a common definition of terms like "sin", "elect", etc.

What do you think?
Unknown said…
I am not sue why my comment was "anonymous". But, you probably figured out who it was from.

Popular Posts