REPOST-Book of Eli-A few thoughts


I saw the Book of Eli Saturday night with two friends.

Why? I saw the trailer months ago and I have always been drawn to post-apocalyptic tales. It appeared to be an action flick and something I wouldn’t have to endure like a Romantic Comedy. Recently, I heard the movie had religious overtones and a few prominent Christian friends were endorsing the R-rated flick as anointed and a must-see for all Christians. Really?

So I decided to lay down my $10 to see for myself.

The Plot -Thirty years after an apocalyptic event, a walker named Eli is traveling on foot toward the West Coast. He is protecting a book. On this journey, Eli attempts to avoid cannibals and marauders in the lawless wasteland. In his search for water, Eli warrants unwanted attention from a Warlord who wants the book for himself. The book happens to be the last surviving copy of the Holy Bible.

With that said-I found the movie to be intriguing. The character of Eli (a man of faith who recites Scripture accurately and intelligently) captivated me. The fact that he kills the bad guys with extreme prejudice satisfied my blood lust I have come to expect in action films. My $10 investment was well met. I became engrossed in the tale and rooted for Eli through the film.

So where was the Christian inspiration that encouraged my prominent Christian friends to promote this film? The film is respectful of the Christian faith. I think many Christians are pleased with The Book of Eli because of the presentation of Scripture on screen. The overall plot of protecting/respecting the word of God resonated with my beliefs. The character of Eli is not stereotypical and his fighting prowess reminded me of Benaiah killing a lion instead of Peter slicing off an ear. The Warlord strives to gain the Word of God as if attempting to reconnect with a classic tune from his childhood. His intentions are self-serving and evil.

Was I challenged as a Christian by the film? Yes, in areas of prayer, contentment, and materialism. (But then I was challenged by The Blind Side to do unto others.) I found the perspective of those around Eli and his quest profound. I pondered that maybe we already live in a post-apocalyptic era when it comes to truth and moral absolutes. The supporting characters around Eli could very easily be those who see our lives of “walking by faith” and “reading the same book everyday” as weird and useless. The world sees our daily quest of sanctification as mere fantasy as they attempt to survive in the spiritual wasteland they currently reside. I connected with that.

A Christian movie? Nope...for many reasons not worth noting. Take the R-rating for what it is worth. The movie is very violent and gory. The language is rough-God’s name is blasphemed. The inferred rape scene and follow-up carnage which includes nudity would hardly encourage an average movie-goer to say the Holy Spirit anointed this film. I do believe that God can use this film to stimulate conversation. Scripture is presented accurately. The book, The Holy Bible, is respected in the film. The film is not offensive to the Christian faith and I believe many Christians who saw the film were very satisfied by that. I know I was.

Funny moment…The attendant ripping our tickets was named Eli.

Comments

Popular Posts