Small Victories and Defeats

Happy is the one who endures testing, because when he has proven to be genuine, he will receive the crown of life that God promised to those who love him. James 1:12 NET

Brad Lidge, Colt McCoy, and Tim Tebow gave credit to God-specifically Jesus Christ-when the microphone was thrust into their face. All three were victorious in their respective sports and gave credit to 'their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ'.

Brad Lidge had just completed pitching in a World Series Victory. Both Tebow and McCoy had just brought their teams from behind to win their respective Bowl games. Tebow's win insured a National Championship. All three credited Jesus for their success.

On hearing this...I was proud that someone had given credit to God...but specifically claimed Jesus' name in the National Spotlight as the reason for their accomplishment. Nothing wishy-washy about that...no anonymous congratulatory god credit...no two-fingered jab at the sky…but a full blown thank you to Jesus Christ.

Friends and family were IM'ing me with joy. One wrote..."God honors his people.'

Now...wait a minute,
I thought. I'm sure there were Christians on the losing teams as well. Didn't the Lord Jesus Christ get them to that stage as well?

I will never throw a touchdown in a National Title Game. I will never throw a wicked slider in the World Series. I will, however, face victories and defeats on a daily basis. Publicly and privately, I am obligated because of His kindness to thank Jesus Christ when those times arrive.

I must be genuine. I'm not questioning these amazing athlete's' authenticity or disparaging their achievements. I'm elated for them. Our character is tested far from the microphones...away from the cameras. Our character is proven when no one is looking.

Then the Crown will be awarded to those genuine. And that is worth more than any World Series Ring or National Title accolade. Tebow, McCoy, and Lidge know this and that is why they thanked their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for bringing up the flip side. As you know, it "rains on the just and the unjust."
Anonymous said…
Thank you for the affirmation and blessing your writing brings to my heart at this time. I find great joy in knowing that the baby boy I babysat on my lap almost 40 yrs ago while I typed my research papers has grown up to be a "varon de Dios" - a man of God - redeemed by the Son. I pray you will always bring him honor. Know that my prayers on your behalf and the family continues - Love, Tia Mima

Popular Posts