David and BoBo Camping




Friday night I camped out with David, 5 other Webelos Cub Scouts and several Boy Scouts at Brazos Bend State Park. The weather was very cool Friday night and the camp fire felt good, but with the cloud cover Saturday morning was warmer and humid.

David learned a lot from the Boy Scouts about camping out and camp rules. He learned not to run in the campsite -- several times he had to go back to where he started and walk to his destination. He learned how to prepare breakfast for a troop of boys -- he helped to crack the eggs and then he cooked one batch of scrambled eggs. He learned how to pull KP duty -- he washed and rinsed the pots and utensils used by the scouts. He learned the 5 W's of hiking (why, where, when, who, and something else that I can't remember), and then took a 3 mile hike where we saw 2 large alligators. After hiking 3 miles we had hamburgers prepared by the boys. Then he played flag football for about one hour before we had to leave. He caught two passes, made two good runs, and scored one touchdown.

Friday night I cooked for him and me because the Boy Scouts did not arrive until about 8 PM. I prepared chili and beans and lasagna from my backpacking dehydrated food. David ate everything I put out for him.

Saturday morning we were the first to get up about 5:30 AM. I made some hot coffee and some hot chocolate for him. Then as I sat there and relaxed, he was busy building a fire with the embers left over from the previous night. One good thing about fires, they will keep young boys busy. No one else got up until 7 AM.

I was impressed with the Boy Scouts because they did not play Mr. Big Shot with the Cub Scouts. They treated the Cub Scouts with respect and tried to teach them about camping out and the patrol system. Some of the Cub Scouts lack any discipline and do not follow instructions, but that did not seem to faze the Boy Scouts. David is a good scout and he will make a very good worker and leader in the future -- he obeys the rules, accepts criticism, is not afraid to work without being told, and he speaks his mind when others are not obeying the rules.

Observing the Boy Scouts in action, I recalled that I learned much from my scout master during my 6 years in scouting, 1958 - 1964. I was learning teamwork and how to lead without being aware of it.

Comments

Eric Guel said…
Sounds like you guys had fun. I've never met anyone who has tried Scouts who didn't love it and learn a lot from it.
Thirsty Bear said…
They had a blast!
I was a Webelo and can always think of good times as a Scout.

Popular Posts