20th High School Reunion

2007 will mark 20 years after my graduation from High School. I started thinking about how much I enjoyed those days.

Especially one in particular...

One day in High School I forgot about a presentation I had to present concerning Libraries.
I was assigned to describe what was in a Library. What you would find in a library, etc. I had to present this to my Senior English Class at Judson High School.

I was totally unprepared. I left my desk and proceeded to the front of the class to give my presentation. I took a deep breath and pulled something out of my behind.

I began.

"The best way to understand what is in a Library is to breakdown the word-LIBRARY. Let's break it down, shall we?"

The only response I received came in the form of a gasp from the class and deer-in-the-headlight looks. I, also, received a frown from the teacher, Mrs. Marbach. Oh boy, I thought.

"The first 3 letters. LIB...stands for Life in Books. Everything in the library, fiction, non fiction, periodicals, film, etc. describes Life in books. Human life, animal life...the only subject you'll find in the library reflects and encompasses life."

"Next...we have RAR. Usually this stands for Rest and Recreation or it's the initials to my name. But in this context...the library is a place where you can Read and wRite. Or Write and Read. Read what you wRote. Or Rest and dream about Reading. Or Rest and Read about Recreation."
"Y. Why do we need to know what are in libraries? Well, so you won't be totally unprepared as I was. And that's the Library. Thank you."

I got a B for presentation. And one huge, "Oh my gawd" from the class clown. And the admiration of Janine E., who I had a huge crush.

It was legendary.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mi hijo, is it really twenty years?
Thirsty Bear said…
Twenty and counting.
Unknown said…
What an awesome story. There are very few people who could have pulled that off!

Well done!
Thirsty Bear said…
I was grasping at straws.

Popular Posts