What's Happening!


This is a tough one to explain. There are fond memories that family members have. My wife and I will pick up a quote from a sitcom or event and it will hang with us forever. A running joke within the family. It can be a popular quote or something obscure and it becomes a 'inside joke' within the family. Strange humor...but I guess everyone reading this may be able to relate.

In the early 70's, my family lived in Germany because of my Dad's Military Service. Television was NOT what it is today. Armed Forces Entertainment would broadcast shows for entertainment only 4 hours a day (if my memory serves me right). Any chance to see American Television was awesome.

One show that I would watch was "What's Happening"? We didn't have video tape recorders so I would record the sitcoms on audio cassette because I liked the show so much. Tape recorders were huge back then. One of my favorite episodes was called "Give Me Odds". Here's the recap-
How do you defeat a fool-proof system? Find a moron. Dwayne's secret trick
for picking football winners seems a sure thing, so Rerun passes a "hot tip" to
his brother-in-law, who lays down big bucks with a bookie. Blind faith in
Dwayne? C'mon Rerun!
To this day...my Mother and I will split our sides by just mentioning this episode and the one liners that came from it. "Helmets!"
Anyhoo...enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts